Friday, August 19, 2011

From my Queve to yours: 5 movies that should be in your Netflix Queve

For this week of August 15-19th...

Although I have just gotten really pumped about this...



We'll have to wait for Machine Gun Preacher to actually come out in theatres.
But for now: In light of the summer coming to a close here are 5 summer-ish movies you should check out, and if you have already...watch them again, damn it.

1.) The Rocketeer (Billy Campbell. Dir: Joe Johnston, 1991) Before Joe Johnston made this, he made a little Disney film called The Rocketeer, and although it had a most excellent story, beautiful score, charming characters (Jennifer Connelly in her cute baby fat stage, post Labyrinth) and amazing inspiration from Comic Book creator,  Dave Stevens, it wasn't so hot at the box office. Well, it's time to relive the magic, folks. Get the kids and hunker down to watch a very cool, very fun movie. And if The Rocketeer doesn't remind you of Captain America, then you're not watching close enough.

2.) The Count of Monte Cristo (Guy Pierce. Dir: Kevin Reynolds, 2002) If you must, read the book before seeing the movie, or even see the 1934 version staring Robert Donat, but for some good action, adventure, romance, and wit, this will truly please you. Reynolds is known for directing Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and pretty much takes the techniques he used successful for Robin Hood in Monte Cristo, except this time the acting is hard core awesomeness, guided by Jim Caviezel...before he became Jesus and then disappeared off the Hollywood radar.

3.) Ghostbusters  (Bill Murary. Dir: Ivan Reikman, 1984)  1984! Damn, what a classic and I know you've seen it already but it's such a delight popping it back into your DVD player or dare I say it, VCR. I was puzzled to why my man, Sancho Paige gave me this movie on my birthday a while back. Come to find out it was a secret love I didn't know I had.  I quote Ghostbusters on weekly basis!
"Human sacrifice...cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria!"
" Ray, when someone asks you if you are a God, you say YES!"
"Are you the gatekeeper?" "Yes, actually he's a friend of mine, he asked me to meet you here."
"Mother pus bucket!"
I could keep going...

4.)  The Majestic (Jim Carrey. Dir: Frank Darabont 2001) Before Zombies from The Walking Dead, Darabont had a vision and turned many Stephen King stories into gems including the beautiful The Shawshank Redemption, bittersweet The Green Mile, and The Mist. (because even though the movie is iffy, then ending is pure balls to the wall). He also directed The Majestic, a little sidelines ode to It's A Wonderful Life and the golden age of the silver screen. It was also probably Jim Carrey's finest (and last) piece of work, in my opinion. Even if you don't like Carrey, the movie is definitely worth a viewing.

5.) The Stand (Gary Sinise. Dir: Mick Harris. 1994) Every summer I attempt to read a Stephen King novel. Two years ago it was a revisit to Bag of Bones. Last year it was Salem's Lot. (awesome!) and this year, just perfect with my latest blog about the evolution of horror films, I am reading the mammoth opus known as The Stand, written at the height of King's reign over the literary world. Now, because it's so dated and I've seen the miniseries, I didn't think that I would be scared to read the book. But man, when you're at the beach reading about some killer flu and someone near you sneezes...it really plays some tricks with you.  Also, for those in my generation, you may remember those summers when Stephen King miniseries were a common, if not anticipated television events. It, The Tommyknockers, The Shinning and The Stand were all made in the 90's. The Stand sticking out as far as I'm concerned as the best of the bunch with it's all star cast. Lieutenant Dan and Molly Ringwald (yes!), Ozzie Davis and Rob Lowe being all sexy as a deaf mute. Even King himself had a role. Four parts over the course of four weeks and each segment more satisfying than the last. Sure, it's dated, and sure it's cheesy. (The Devil has a mullet...) but it was a well laid out story and paved the way for many of the silly "virus" films springing up today. If you've got about eight hours to spare, you've got yourself a great time.



No comments:

Post a Comment